Monday, August 12, 2013

Monday. The most notoriously unhappy day of each week for most people. My Monday, however, was pretty alright :-) I woke up too late to run (of course. I really should stop saying that and just have it be standing knowledge that morning runs are like flying cars; a great concept, but never going to happen in my life time). Anyway, I started the week with another day at the fair. The day started out beautiful, weather wise, and quickly turned overcast and somewhat muggy. Lucky for me the mugginess was minimal, and when I got home, I geared up for a run. To my delight, just as I headed toward the end of the driveway, the UPS guy approached.
Last week, when I went to Fleet Feet, I was sized for "good running shoes." What made them so good, you ask? Well, the particular shoe I liked was a support shoe that compensated for pronation and heel strike. If you're not a runner I imagine this face right now:
Don't worry, I'll elaborate. Pronation means I'm "pigeon toed" or that my toes point inward when I walk. This has always made me notably clumsy and I trip over air a lot. Embarrassing on its own, worse in stilettoes and hazardous and potentially painful when running. These shoes are supposed to help correct that, which also may mean I won't wear through the toes as quickly, which happens when your feet are always running into each other.
Heel strike is pretty self explanatory; I run like a herd of elephants. All by myself. My poor roommate lives in the basement, and gets to hear me hulk stomp through the kitchen every morning. He particularly hates high heels. He fears one day I may come through the floor.
So these nifty new shoes have rounded heels to keep me from hitting hard on the heel with each stride, which will in turn save my joints and back some massive shock injuries. Instead, these shoes promote hitting the stride mid-foot and pushing off more with the toe. This is a good thing.
Well I was sized for these fancy shoes, and then found out they were $120. This is about average for good shoes, but I'm a broke paramedic/college student. I was going to have to hold off. So that day I went home and wanted to research these shoes more online to make sure they were worth the price, and to see if I could find a better deal. As luck would have it, I did. I found them half off through Finish Line's website! A few clicks later, I was anticipating my new kicks, and today, the man in brown brought them to my door! And what better time than right as I am ready to run?!
So here are the newest addition to my footwear collection:

Aren't they bright and lovely!? So right there on the porch, with the dog all leashed up and ready to go, I plopped my butt down and changed my shoes. I was overwhelmed with excitement! My running was about to instantly improve!
(If you are a runner, and you have ever purchased new and different shoes, you are now laughing at me. I deserve it.)
BAM! Layla and I are off! These feel so different; its awesome! Then I hit the half mile mark. Ooo, my shins; they burn a bit. Haven't felt that in a while.
One mile. My calves; they might explode.
1.5 miles: Work those thighs.
2 miles: OH MY GOD! MY BUTT!
At this point every muscle from the waist down feels like it is on fire or going to tear away from the bone. I think I may have even discovered a few muscles I didn't know I had.
I push through to three miles, and waddle the last block home. By the time I hit my driveway, I am sore and am walking like I just got off a horse and had a pole shoved up my butt. (Visualize. Giggle.)
So, the fun part about shoes that change the way you run is that they change the way your run. Yes, that was redundant, but what I mean is that changing the mechanics changes the muscles you use. Therefore today was like running for the first time all over again. It was as awful as it sounds, and I'm the genius that pushed it for three miles.
In hindsight, I should've broken these bad boys out on a rest day, where a little jog would have been acceptable, and prevented my lower extremities from turning to Jell-O. Lesson learned.
But despite this silly first timers faux pas, I really do love my new shoes, and can't wait for them to be all broken in and for my body to get comfortable running in them. Until then, there will be lots of stretching and walking funny. I am not looking forward to how sore my legs will be tomorrow, but regardless, I shall run on. Tomorrow is my first "long run," which for now means adding a mile to my current distance. Hopefully, my legs wont fall off with my new shoes attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment